Friday, July 15, 2011

Chopin - A Chronological Journey

I just got my 3rd Valerie Tryon album in the mail from Hyperion in the UK today - Chopin - A Chronological Journey is a 3 CD set. I had actually purchased this directly from the APR website.  APR's web orders are fulfilled by Hyperion.  I got it for £19.98 (about $30 CDN).  More than I would usually pay nowadays (given that boxed sets from Universal Classics can be as low as$2/CD).  However, Valerie Tryon is one amazing pianist.  I had previously bought her CBC Chopin CD and the APR CD of Mozart, Schubert and Schumann.  I decided to listen to the 3rd CD first as it has some of my favorites (Barcorolle, Berceuse, Heroic Polonaise).  The 3 CDs contain almost 4 hours of music.  Generous indeed.

However, while I was in Edmonton this past week, Samuel spotted the David Garrett DVD "Rock Symphonies" and we bought that at HMV after I checked that it wasn't cheaper at Amazon.ca.  The two boys are rather hooked on Mr Garrett right now.  He's got talent, but I much prefer Valerie Tryon's artistry (or Artur Grumiaux for violin). 

Got bad news from the dentist today too - back molar is cracked.  I had lost a top back molar on the other side a few years ago that was cracked.  A crown would be $$$.  This has been a crappy year (car troubles and now this).  We went to the Berry Barn after seeing the dentist and had a waffle.  Then we went to Floral Acres to use up the Groupon and bought some lilies and geraniums.  Try to just enjoy Valerie Tryon playing Chopin.  Beautiful recording from APR.

No comments:

Post a Comment