Monday, November 4, 2013

Windows 8.1 upgrade glitch

I upgraded three computers from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro yesterday.  It was kind of a pain because it must be done from the Windows App Store, so I had to sign in to each computer with a Microsoft account (Hotmail) and download the 3.8 Gig file to each computer.  The Lenovo Core i7 laptop took the longest (about 3 hours), but the two desktops took about 2 hours (including download time).

However, one computer developed a problem with its USB ports today and I didn't have a working mouse.  It was the Core i5 with an Asus board.  The USB ports on the computer were not working at all.  So, I didn't have a mouse and couldn't do much.  Then I thought about plugging in a PS/2 mouse so that I could see what the problem was.  After I had a functioning PS/2 mouse, I found the problem with the USB extensible host interface:


I removed the problem device and it reinstalled itself properly.  Now my USB ports work again!  Not a good experience though.

No comments:

Post a Comment